Saturday, December 17, 2011

Eggnog Fudge (as a plea of forgiveness)

Ok...funny story, I disappeared I know and my reasons for that could be excuses that go on forever so but who has the time? SO...I will just move on to this AMAZING recipe for fudge I found from Recipe Girl.

I tend to stress when I am taking something to events...I like to make something that people will like, but have it be that something new and just AMAZING. Also I wanted to stick with the holiday theme...long story short I was dying for some fudge...holiday fudge. Peppermint? No. Plain fudge...not holiday enough. But EGG NOG FUDGE?! Winner! I love love love eggnog so I was so excited, I know my husband doesn't like it but I didn't care, there was bound to be some peanut butter something for him.

My only regret in making this was that I didn't do it in the morning because it smelled divine and oh so Christmasy! Here is where the funny story comes in...I was just loving it the whole time taking deep breaths over and over...MMMM...and just as I am finishing up and enjoying the first taste of my labors my husband walks in and says: (loudly and with disgust) "oh that stinks so bad!" I would have been offended but it was too funny because I had just been enjoying it so much! Also I pity him poor soul doesn't know what he is missing. But if you are like me and LOVE eggnog this is something you should try!



eggnog fudge

Yield: 30 to 40 pieces
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 12 min

ingredients:

2 cups granulated white sugar
1/2 cup salted butter
3/4 cup dairy eggnog
10.5 ounces white chocolate bars, chopped into small pieces
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, plus a little more for the top of the fudge
One 7-ounce jar marshmallow creme
1/2 teaspoon rum extract*

directions:

1. Line an 8 or 9-inch square pan with foil and let it hang over the sides. Butter the foil.
2. In a heavy, 3-quart saucepan combine sugar, butter and eggnog. Bring to a rolling boil, stirring constantly. Continue boiling 8 to 10 minutes over medium heat or until a candy thermometer reaches 234°F, stirring constantly to prevent scorching. Remove from heat.
3. Using a wooden spoon, work quickly to stir in chopped white chocolate and nutmeg until chocolate is melted and smooth. Stir in marshmallow creme and rum extract. Beat until well blended and then pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle a little freshly ground nutmeg on top. Let stand at room temperature until cooled. Refrigerate if you'd like to speed up the process.
4. When completely cool, cut into squares. Store in a covered container.

tips:

*I cut down from 1 tsp of Rum Extract and it was perfect for me but its your call.
*This fudge freezes well. Place in a covered container; it will keep for several weeks.
Source: photo and recipe from RecipeGirl.com (Adapted from Recipezaar)

No comments:

Post a Comment