Friday, June 17, 2011

Sunday sweets week 2: Key Lime Cake

Ok...we are going to be out of town Sunday so I will not be making a treat...but I made this in April for my mom's birthday upon her request. I was skeptical I am not a lemony/lime type sweets sorta girl but her birthday her cake...But I will say this:

IT TURNED OUT AMAZING!!! Everyone loved it, the cake was great and the frosting was better! So delicious. I took things from a whole bunch of different recipes and this is what I did:

Cake:

  • 1 lemon cake mix
    1 cups vegetable oil
    4 eggs
    1 package lime flavored gelatin mix
    3/4 cup orange juice
    Mix together and divide among pans of choice and cook according to cake box directions.
    *If your worried about it being too sweet add 1/2 prepared white cake mix. I did then I used the other half to make cupcakes for those babies who wouldn't eat heaven on earth!!! I even made it swirly looking it was cool.

    Key lime Frosting

    1/2 cup butter
    1 package cream cheese
    3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    1 tablespoon orange juice
    4 cups confectioners' sugar
    zest from one lime mostly for pretty

    Worlds best frosting!!! SO GOOD! 

6 comments:

  1. Holly Hosannah I'm in love! I am featuring you on Spunky Junky this week ;)

    toodles~
    Halsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. making this for our easter dinner tomorrow! So excited I found it, it looks just incredible!

    Jessi

    ReplyDelete
  3. To clarify did you use half a lemon and half of a white cake mix, or did you use the full lemon cake mix and added half of a whit cake mix?

    ReplyDelete
  4. PURPLEWOLF26... DID YOU GET AN ANSWER?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used a full lemon and a half prepared white and marbled it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent! Best cake I've had in a long time. Will make it again!

    ReplyDelete